Tuesday, November 3, 2015

Cards and Blue Apron Steak and Apple Salad

Hi there everyone. Oh my, was it not a BEAUTIFUL day today??? Tomorrow is going to be even warmer and sunny....hard to believe this IS November!!! But you can bet....by the 21st of November, (my birthday) there will be snow....some place and most likely there will be snow here!!!

Been working on some cards lately. I got this idea from Lydia @ "Understand Blue" her address is: http://www.understandblue.com I fell in love with this card and the technique she used with distress ink, water and brush. My card does not quite look like hers.....but that is okay...no two cards can be a like. She did not use sequins and I did. I think it turned out nice, probably will make some more of these for Christmas this year. This card, will be going on my Etsy store tonight. Will be selling this for $3.50 + shipping.
This is one of Tim Holtz's birds...I just love them and they can say anything you want. He is pretty fun, colored him in with Copic markers and sponged the edges with ink. He too, will be going on my Etsy store for $3.50 + shipping.
This is another Tim Holtz stamp set. The leaves are from Stampin'up.  The technique used was shaving cream and alcohol inks. After the card dried then I stamped with Tim's stamps. The leaves are gold embossed to add a touch of elegance. Putting this card in my Etsy store for $3.50 + shipping.
Okay...this was another tasty meal from Blue Apron. "Sumac-Spiced Steak & Honeynut Squash with Pickled Onion & Apple-Walnut Salad"
I loved the apple salad, so simple but tasty. One apple was cored (skin left on) and diced small, toss with the juice of 1 lemon wedge to prevent from browning. The rest of the lemon was zested, and added to the apple salad. Also added to this salad was 2 tablespoons of chopped up walnuts, 1/4 cup feta cheese and mint, finely chopped just before adding to the salad. Drizzle with olive oil and toss to coat. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Yep, this is a 5 star salad!!!
The steak was a little tough and the butternut squash was good, but I put too much spice on it to make it a little too hot.....guess it was the sumac seasoning (ground up sumac and crushed Aleppo pepper), salt and pepper would be just fine. The squash was sliced, drizzled with oil, salt and pepper and roasted in the oven for 20-25 minutes till browned....yep, this was good too.

The pickled onions were very tasty on the steak....I would do the onions again, but less sugar. The pickled onions were made with onions, sugar, a pinch of salt, the juice of a lemon and 1/4 cup of water. Heat to boiling on medium-high. Cook for 2-3 minutes or until the onion has softened and the liquid is slightly reduced in volume. Transfer the mixture to a bowl and set aside to pickle for at least 10 minutes.

Well, time to close this post for today. Need to get a few more cards made for Hospice this Friday. It's been 4 months since my last meeting....been a while. Will be fun to see the ladies again.

You all have a great day and keep looking up. Cheers ~ Louise

10 comments:

Susie said...

Your cards are beautiful and your dinner looked very tasty. Hope you are enjoying this wonderful weather. Blessings, xoxo,Susie

Patricia said...

I have a butternut squash sitting on the counter. I haven't tried roasting small slices of it. I think I will. I like it plain with butter, salt, and pepper. I'm not fond of it when it's done with brown sugar or marshmallows. Have a great day. It's good to see you have your card making mojo back.

Biz said...

I am getting my Blue Apron today - thanks Louise! I'll let you know how they turn out :D

NanaDiana said...

Your cards are just beautiful, Louise. Photographs really do not do them credit. I hope you are getting some sales at your Etsy site.
Your Blue Apron meal looks really good. I think the best thing is that it gets you out of the "rut" of cooking the same old things over and over.
Hope you have a wonderful Wednesday. It is a busy week here (what else is new)..lol xo Diana

cards4ubylouise and other treasures said...

Hi Susie....thanks for stopping by. Hard to leave comments on your blog, sorry bout that...emails are about all I can do from this end. Yep, dinner was tasty and the weather is gorgeous!!!

cards4ubylouise and other treasures said...

Hi Patricia....I may buy another butternut to roast again, just using the oil, salt and pepper this time around. Thanks on the card making mojo!!

cards4ubylouise and other treasures said...

Hi Biz....yay on the Blue Apron box...will look forward to hearing how you like it and be sure to pass on the news to your blog friends if you like it.

cards4ubylouise and other treasures said...

Hi Diana, Thanks on the cards. Yep, I got a sale just the other day, but that was after a dry spell of 8 months and no sales....erg!!! Yes that is exactly what Blue Apron has done, got me out of the rut of the same old, same old and learning new things!! JP likes the change too!!

Attic Clutter said...

Hi Louise..
oh cute birdy card..
and that dinner looks so good..wish I was eating it.(:)
Hugs,Patty

cards4ubylouise and other treasures said...

Patty..thanks on the birdy card and yes the dinner was good, wait till you see the next one.....oh yum!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails